The Online Engineer will report to the Lead Engineer, and by working with engineers locally and globally will contribute to the development of a growing portfolio of more than 100 commerce sites. This person is responsible for the implementation of site redesigns, as well as developing new features and enhancements to existing web sites and new business launches. We are looking for a driven and successful programmer with a proven history of working in the digital industry.
In ELC EMEA Online Engineering, you will work alongside highly experienced and talented Designers and Producers. The role will involve pre-build analysis, guiding the business on how to get the most out of their brief, development and documentation through to post-launch support and updates. You will support development fixes as part of the QA cycle, as advised by the QA team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for looking beyond the project in hand towards creating an efficient and sustainable build approach, reusing code to quickly turn around projects across multiple high profile brands in key markets across Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
To succeed, candidates must have the ability to prioritise their time effectively, to deliver projects on time and to specification. You will have good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, and a sharp attention to detail.
The applicant will be fully up to date with the latest in digital innovation; the kind of person for whom tinkering with technical ideas is a common out of hours practise. They will make use of allocated personal innovation time to experiment with new technologies, approaches and concepts to grow the business. They will also be expected to form strong relationships with peers in our Global team, and be comfortable working in a collaborative fashion to achieve common goals.
Candidates will be expected to provide out of hours support on a rota basis, approximately once every 8 weeks, will be willing to occasionally work extended hours when required, and be available to support deployments outside of business hours when needed.
Description of Role
- Implement site redesigns, features and enhancements to existing web sites and new business launches
- Collaborate with business teams to understand requirements and leverage technical expertise to enhance any request
- Provide feedback on creative concepts, as it relates to technical feasibility
- Create proof of concept prototypes to help with the selection of solutions
- Provide estimates for development work to include analysis, programming and testing
- Provide appropriate feedback on the status of project work or problem resolution
- Keep open and continuous communications with Producers and other members of team with regard to workload and project challenges
- Work alongside design agencies and project management teams to deliver work on time and to specification
- Provide out of hours support on a rota basis, approximately once every 8 weeks.
- Be willing to occasionally work extended hours as required by the role, and be available to support deployments out of business hours when needed
- BSc in computer science, or experience in a similar role
- Must have experience with object oriented PHP, Perl or similar web development programming languages
- Ability to write clean, consistent and secure code, adhering to programming standards
- Prior experience with Linux command line, including version control systems such as GIT or SVN
- Understanding of SQL and database management systems is advantageous
- Experience of working in Agile project teams is advantageous
- Experience of working with Drupal is advantageous
- Strong client facing service skills, both inside and outside of the company
- ‘Can do’ positive attitude to any situation, with the ability to problem solve under pressure
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to troubleshoot
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Ability to work both individually and as part of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills